Abortion Pill - Myths vs Facts
There’s a lot of misinformation about the abortion pill and how it works. If you live in or near Yakima, Washington, we can provide you with a nurse consultation and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Before Taking the Abortion Pill
Determine how far along you are.
The abortion pill is only effective for pregnancies below a certain age. If you are past a certain week, it may be too late for you to take the abortion pill. Ensure you aren’t putting yourself at risk by getting a free limited ultrasound first and finding out how far along you are.
Make sure the pregnancy is viable.
Approximately 15-25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. It is important to first get an ultrasound to determine if the pregnancy is viable. Another reason an ultrasound is usually required is to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. This occurs when the fertilized egg does not correctly move into the uterus. This can be a life-threatening condition and would need immediate action.
How much do you know about the abortion pill?
1) It’s officially called RU-486 and was approved by the FDA in 2000. Another name for RU-486 is a medical or chemical abortion.
2) The pill is actually two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, and it’s taken in two separate doses. (One at the clinic and one at home.)
3) It can cost anywhere between $300-$800.
4) The abortion pill is not the same as the emergency contraceptive, The Morning After Pill or Plan B One Step.
5) Some insurance companies cover a portion of the cost.
6) It is usually taken between 4-6 weeks but can be taken up to 11 weeks in most cases.
7) Is not an option for people with certain medical conditions.
8) Reversal is possible if action is taken after the first dose.
What are some side-effects of the abortion pill?
1) Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
2) Heavy or prolonged bleeding
3) Infection or septic shock
4) Digestive system pain or discomfort
5) Heavy cramping
7) Nausea or vomiting
If you think you may need the abortion pill, come see us. We can provide a free ultrasound to determine if your pregnancy is viable and how far along you are. With several abortion methods available today, how far along you are will determine what is available and how much it will cost.
Learn more about the pill, how it works, and talk to a nurse about your medical history.